LTA Instructor (Level 2)
From October 2021 this qualification will replace Level 2 Tennis Coaching Assistant. To learn more please refer to our FAQs.
This enhanced five-day qualification is ideal for those looking to build on the coaching foundations of LTA Assistant/Level 1, enabling you to lead (not assist) in the delivery of group coaching.
LTA Instructors will be trained to lead group coaching at any venue. The course learning outcomes are delivered in the context of beginner and intermediate group coaching, across adults and juniors. However, the course covers basic knowledge and skills that are applicable for any age of player and any level of player. LTA instructors will typically be deployed as part of a large programme, schools out-reach initiative, leisure centres, or smaller venues that do not have an LTA Coach (Level 3) available.
Develop more advanced skills in communication and organisation
Have introductory knowledge of ‘observation and analysis’ of players
Be able to provide general coaching advice across physical, mental, tactical, and technical domains
Plan and deliver structured lessons from official LTA Adult and Junior coaching products e.g., Cardio Tennis, Tennis Xpress, LTA Youth
Understand basic principles of skill acquisition, safeguarding and player development
LTA Instructor course program
There are two separate components to LTA Qualifications; Training and Assessment.
Training: The LTA Instructor course consists of five days of face-to-face training time, which are separated by a minimum of four weeks (to provide time for 10 hours’ work experience & course work-completion). At LTA Instructor, the five days of learning are split into core and elective days. There are four days of core training and one day of elective (coaches choose what specialisation they do for their fifth day). Core and elective training is booked (and paid for) separately.
Assessment: Final (summative) assessments are conducted during a real-life lesson of your choice, at a tennis venue of your choice. Your assessment will be conducted by the LTA, not inspire2coach, and will need to be booked and paid for separately once you have completed the course.
Assessments are recorded by you (using smartphone equipment) and then submitted to the LTA virtually by video upload. The exact procedure for this will be explained to you during the course.
|LTA Instructor course format at a glance|
|Training - Core days||4 days done face to face at the course venue|
|Training - Elective days||1 day which can be done at any time, before, during or after the core days, at any venue. These are booked and paid for separately from the course|
|Minimum hours coaching experience between modules||10 hours in total|
|Assessment||Booked with the LTA and paid for by you separate from the course, conducted by the LTA once all core and elective days and all course tasks have been completed|
Pre-requisites for the LTA Instructor (Level 2) course
For optimal course quality and impact, the LTA Instructor has pre-requisites to ensure that the course demands are aligned with your existing knowledge and skills. For LTA Instructor, these are:
- Hold the Level 1 Coaching Assistant, LTA Tennis Assistants, or LTA Assistant qualification
- Hold a DBS/PVG Enhanced Check with Child Barred List certificate applied for in the last 12 months through LTA/Tennis Scotland (volunteer certificates cannot be accepted).
- Candidates must fully complete five training days (core and elective) and all coursework tasks before they can book their final assessment
- Hold a valid certificate of competence in either First Aid at Work (FAW) or Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW), or have successfully completed the OFQUAL Level 3 in First Aid prior to assessment. This is to ensure you are safe to practice upon qualifying.
- Candidates must fully complete five training days (core and elective) and all coursework tasks before they can book their final assessment. Your assessment will be conducted by the LTA, not inspire2coach, and will need to be booked and paid for separately once you have completed the course.
How to Book
Qualification Training is booked and paid via inspire2coach.
Qualification Assessment is booked (and paid) directly via the LTA.
Reasonable adjustments are available and encompass any arrangements made prior to the delivery of a qualification, course, or workshop. Reasonable adjustments are required to be authorised by 1st4sport and the LTA. Please contact the Coach Development Centre at the time of booking.