About the Level 1 Course
From January 2021 this qualification will be renamed the LTA Assistant Coach.
This qualification is the starting point for people who want to get into tennis coaching. In it you learn about:
- Motivating and inspiring people to play tennis
- Using effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Organising tennis activity constructively and safely
- Planning and delivering structured lessons using LTA Level 1 coach resources
The Level 1 course runs over 3 days; normally, two consecutive days with a final day 3-4 weeks later. See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). See additional information about course pre-requisites.
Who is the course for?
The Level 1 tennis coaching course is the starting point for people aged 16 and over who want to get into tennis coaching and become a coaching assistant.
How is the course structured?
The course runs over 3 days; normally, two consecutive days with a final day 3-4 weeks later. The course usually runs from 9am to 5pm, but actual times can vary at different venues.
What we will cover (exact days and times may change depending upon the location and needs of the groups):
- Mini Tennis
- Lesson structure
- Basic tactics
- Basic technique
- Initial assessment
- Action plan
- Mini Tennis awards
- On court assessment
- Portfolio assessment
On successful completion of the Level 1 you should:
- Be able to motivate and inspire people to play tennis
- Be able to use effective verbal and non verbal communication skills
- Be able to organise tennis activity constructively and safely
- Be able to plan and deliver a structured lesson using LTA Level 1 coach resources
- Have basic knowledge of tactics, techniques and rules of tennis
- Have a full understanding of the structure of Mini Tennis
Are there any pre-requisites?
If you don’t have an LTA DBS Disclosure you can download the Deployment letter and arrange to have this signed by the LTA Accredited+ Coach that you will be assisting with your 3 x 1 hour coaching sessions in-between day 2 and day 3 of the course. You can download a copy here.
How to Book
We will send you a confirmation email and then prior to the start date we will send you all details relating to the course (including useful information on finding the venue and anything else that you might need to bring on the day).